Happy New Year everyone! I generally write a “Year in Review” post for my blog earlier than this but I got late this time due to vacation hangover.
You can read my past year-end reviews here:
Here are some of my stats from the year for you to gorge on:
- 175 submissions (including F/NF/poetry)
- 12 acceptances (6 NF, 5 F, 1 poem) (7.4% acceptance rate)
- Total Earnings: $443
- Further Income Expected: $165 (promised but will pay on publication)
- 17 personal rejections from higher-tier literary journals*
- 70k words written
- 10 short stories completed, 2 drafted
- 2 essays written
*Some might feel this is an odd thing to brag about but anyone who’s been submitting long enough knows how nice it feels to get a rejection that’s clearly NOT a stock form letter.
Some of my major successes:
- My story in Kitaab’s Best Asian Speculative Fiction
- 2nd place in On The Premises themed story contest
- My essay in The Writer magazine
- My humor piece in The Offing
I usually beat myself up for my stats but I’ve learned to put it in perspective. For now it’s the best I can do with a full-time job and kids. At some point I really have to pull up my socks and do something about the novels in my virtual drawer, because long fiction is where it’s at. All the same I immensely enjoy writing and publishing short fiction and essays.
In any case I hope to focus on my novels in 2019.
What are your plans and hopes for the New Year? Please share so I know I’m not alone in forging crazy plans!